Friday 24 February 2012

You're Awkward and I Know It....



One of my all time favourite pastimes would have to be relishing in the Random Acts of Awkwardness of others.  I adore my own awkwardness, however, spending the majority of my day red faced and flabbergasted is only fun-tastic for so long...I'm just that disturbed that I like the spotlight to be on someone else's "Freak Flag" once in a while.  Nothing is quite as delicious as watching someone get crapped on by a rogue pigeon or slip on the ice and end up in a strange spread eagle position while passerbys just avert their eyes.  You know it will probably be your turn in the next few days, but until then, the humiliation is all theirs. 

Just last week I was fortunate enough to witness a leggy blond woman ask for "3 1/2 inch screws" at the local hardware store.  The jiggly man behind the counter let out a small series of snorts and masked giggles, which sounded more like a donkey being molested by a drunk cowboy. The awkwardness that ensued was gorgeous.  I relished in the moment and continued to observe the remainder of the encounter through the dusty shelves of my hiding place.  There was a great deal of stuttering, strange hand gestures and even some feet stomping that give my own awkward reactions a run for their money.  Ahhh, other people, I just love when you show me your oddities. 

I think it would be fun to spend a day going about the town and creating awkward moments for others to walk into.  Just for giggles and snorts.  Perhaps you could lock all of the doors in a public washroom and watch in glee as people rush to squirm under for a pee.  Or on a "gassy" day you could stroll the aisles of the local supermarket and bolt after a toot, so that great awkwardness ensues for those attempting to have a civilised conversation.  You KNOW they are both thinking the other person did it, but through strained smiles and "mouth breathing" they are much too polite to say anything.  Oooh, or leave your cuchini lying around at a party and see how many people you can turn red faced when they ask you what it is!  Anyone have any of their own ideas on how to make others lives awkward?  ;)

I'm disgustingly excited for today's recipe...I'm talking "fat kid gets a shiny new red bike" kind of excited.  I'm talking "Grandma got a brand new bingo dabber" excited.  My world has turned back side up since learning how to make my own Baileys.  The sun is brighter, the snow is whiter and there is a tiny spring in my step that wasn't there before.  You may argue that it's probably because I'm permanently drunk (Baileys in my coffee, oatmeal, pancakes etc) and you are probably right.  Whatever the cause, life is fabulous.  So fabulous in fact that I am sharing with you one of the most delicious recipes I have ever stumbled across.....Double Fudge Irish Cream Cookies.  Yep, I said it. Your Welcome.  If you've already made a batch of your own Baileys, this is an awesome opportunity to use it in a recipe!  (If you have any left of course!) 

Also, I want to give a quick shout out to a viewer who was going to be a creative genius and try banana liqueur in her homemade Baileys concoction.  What an incredible idea Melanie!  Be sure you let us know how it turns out!  We are eagerly (ie drunkenly) awaiting your review!!!!!  I love love love a new and fabulous recipe, so always feel free to leave a comment with your ideas/recipes in them!

Let's get to baking shall we!!!!  I should also mention that I found this amazing recipe at one of my favourite baking blogs:  How Sweet It Is .  Seriously, check it out for some sweet ass drool worthy recipes. 

Double Fudge Irish Cream Cookies  (I just can't stop saying it...)

What you will need:

1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla  (yay!!  Use your homemade vanilla from my first ever post!)
2 2/3 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
8 tablespoons Bailey’s Irish Cream liqueur (mmmm....it would also be fun to try the mint Baileys)
1 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Do it up:

Cream butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until fluffy. Add in Bailey’s one tablespoon at a time. (One for you Mr. bowl, two for me..)  Add flour, cocoa powder, instant coffee, baking soda and salt and mix until combined.
Fold in chocolate chips. Refrigerate dough for 4-6 hours.
Roll into balls (hee hee...balls....) and set on baking sheet.
Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

Now lock your doors, lace a giant cup of coffee with any remaining Baileys and have yourself an old fashioned "cookie fest".  You know, back in the day when you didn't worry about getting chocolate all over your face and stuck in your teeth, crumbs on your chest or coffee on your crotch.  Just shovel these bad boys in your mouth like a whore at a "Who's in my mouth party".  Leave the clean up until later and just delight in the feeling of a face full of chocolate and a full belly.   "Eat like no one is watching"

Photo from "How Sweet It Is"

I'd also like to remind you guys that I recently joined Twitter!  I'm new to the tweeting, twatting, tooting world, but I'm slowly figuring it out.  Follow me @TheAwkwardbaker

Quote of the day from Modern Family:

Cam: I'm playing a drinking game. It's called every time I feel depressed about something, I take a drink.
Mitchell: That's already a game. It's called alcoholism

2 comments:

  1. ...um, YUM! Three of my favorite things combined in those cookies! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!!! They are amazingly delicious! Let me know if you try them :) I used chocolate chunks the last time I made them and they were fantastic!!!!

      Delete